ESA Reveal Gamer Demographics
The Entertainment Software Assocation has published an insightful report into the demographics of gamers. Some of the stats and facts may surprise you.
Here are the top facts about the gaming industry in the US from the report:
- Average age of a gamer is 30.
- 32% of gamers are under 18.
- 31% of gamers are between 18-35.
- 37% are of gamers are over 46.
- Average age of the most frequent buyer of games is 35 - 52% of which are male, 48% female.
- 47% of gamers are female.
- Women aged 18 and over are 30% of all gamers.
- Under 18 males are 18% of all gamers.
- 49% of all US households own a console.
- Of that 49%, the average amount of consoles owned is 2.
- 15% of the most frequent players have paid to play online.
- Puzzle, board games, game show, trivia and card games are the most frequently played online games, taking up 42%.
- 98% of parents feel that the ESRB system is useful when choosing games for children.
- 85% of parents are aware of the ESRB system.
- 90% of the time, parents are present when games are bought/rented.
- 82% of the time, parents’ permission is granted before a child purchases a game.
- 40% of parents play a video game with their child at least weekly - 59% monthly.
- 52% of parents say video games are a positive aspect of their child’s life.
- In 2011, games rating E for Everyone sold the highest proportion - 39%
- $24.75bn was spent on the game’s industry by consumers in 2011.